Sunday, May 29, 2011

My First Kiss...Ape Style


Pablo was my first official boyfriend.

We met in June of 2001, in a church convention thing I went to. He was visiting a mutual friend of ours, and had been chatting up everyone in our circle of friends like he knew us. When I walked up to my friends, this very short guy with a guido hairstyle and a nice suit practically gave me his life story in 5 minutes. I thought he talked too much, and smiled too much and was too hyper. Like an annoyingly hyper, cute little dog. Annoying.

We exchanged emails. We all did. He didn't show interest in me or anyone else, nor I in him. After a few emails, he asked for my phone number...which kind of took me by surprise. Since I was this big ball of clumsy and he seemed to be too cool for me. The conversations progressed until he asked me if I wanted to be his girlfriend, about a month later. When my dad came to visit in August of 2001, Pablo asked me to bring my folks to meet his folks. He wanted to show them and his family he was serious about us...I was a scared kid two months into a phone relationship. Alas...

This brings me to that fateful Wednesday afternoon, when we drove 3 hours to his house. Dad was asking me about Pablo...to which I didn't have many answers. I barely knew him. We picked him up and drove to the mall, with him holding my hand and kissing it...and me flinching on the inside. He was doing too much...too soon. He was my first boyfriend...I was barely used to the idea of holding hands. He was pushy. So we get to Plaza Las Americas...the biggest mall of the Caribbean located in San Juan, PR. Third floor. They had just rebuilt that area of the mall and stuck brand new CineVista movie theaters. Dad picked Planet of the Apes, the remake with Mark Wahlberg...sigh. What's wrong with the originals?? I digress...

My parents decided it was ok to leave us 'alone' for a while. For us to get a chance to know each other better. Inside my head alarms were going off, because his hand immediately tightened around mine and he gave me a sly grin. This didn't feel right, ugh. So we went and sat down on a bench that was tucked in an area that was still under construction and rather solitaire. Mind you, I was the same height I am right now...5' 9". Pablo? 5' 4" and half my size in every other way. My mouth? Tiny...with small, full lips. His? Easily 8 times the size of mine, huge fluffy lips. He attacked me. Pretty much.

I pictured my first kiss being slow...soft. Learning what worked best between my partner's mouth and mine. Enjoying every sensation. No. He vacuumed my face. Slobber everywhere. Never been a big fan of being licked without someone letting me come up for breath. Yeah. First and only kiss. ONLY. I refused to kiss him the rest of the day. He kept trying and I pretty much dodged his black hole of a mouth every time.

The movie sucked...but even the goddamn apes had a better kiss than I did.

Pablo kind of looked like a chimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment